Thursday, June 14, 2012

Research on the effects of workplace hostility

Sometimes when you go into a business, you can just tell there is hostility in the air. Well, a study was done recently on how hostility between coworkers effects the customers. The findings probably are not shocking to most people.

"...researchers found that when customers witness employees being disrespectful to one another - yelling, using profane language, or openly criticizing another's job performance - customers not only get mad, but they often try to punish the company in some way"
The only time I have witnessed hostility between coworkers was at Best Buy in the geek squad section. An associate was looking at something for me when his supervisor walked up and began to verbally reprimand the employee for incurring overtime by staying to help me. Needless to say, I appreciated the employee staying to help me, but I also thought that the supervisor should have been fired or reprimanded for saying that in front of a customer.

You can read the full article here: http://www.inc.com/magazine/201202/be-kind-to-your-co-workers.html

No comments:

Post a Comment